Welcome to the
INTERNATIONAL RMS SUMMER SCHOOL
- The RMS Summer School takes place each year in August / September at one of the RMS Universities of Applied Sciences, thus rotating between Fachhochschule Dortmund, Hochschule Bochum and Westfälische Hochschule.
- It aims to increase knowledge on a topic related to sustainability and to facilitate intercultural exchange by an interdisciplinary and international setting.
- The topic of the event always addresses a sustainability issue which will be explored and discussed with experts and participants from all around the world.
- Each RMS Summer School is composed of two parts: The accompanying programme provides an experience of language, region and culture for all international participants, starting a few days prior. The subsequent professional programme includes keynote speeches, discussions, project work and networking.
- The event is open to interested master students as well as bachelor students in higher semesters from all subjects.
- The language of the event is English.
- The number of participants is limited.
- All students will receive a confirmation of participation, stating both topic and workload. Depending on your university and study programme, you can receive ECTS as well. Please ask your university or study programme coordinator in advance.
The RMS Summer School is open to interested master students as well as bachelor students in higher semesters from all subjects. In case you are a bachelor student we suggest that you only apply if you are currently studying in the third semester or higher, as the Summer School will require a certain level of specialist knowledge.
First of all, you should be interested in the topic and burn for new insight from different perspectives and disciplines.
You should also speak good English (level B2 is desirable), as this is the language of the event.
In case you are an international applicant, you must submit both Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages in pdf format) and letter of motivation (max. 1,800 characters) with your application on our website – this helps us to select the participants for the event and evaluate if you receive the scholarship.
That`s an easy one: just by sending us your CV and letter of motivation in English.
This is possible, but entirely up to the university and the study programme you attend. Please ask your university or study programme coordinator in advance.
You will definitely receive a confirmation of participation from RMS, stating both topic and workload of the Summer School.
RMS Summer School consists of the professional programme (19/08/2022 to 26/08/2022) and the accompanying programme for international students as a 'warm up' (15/08/2022 to 18/08/2022). Local students are invited to participate in the accompanying programme as well by supporting our guests as their buddies.
During the RMS Summer School, you will meet various experts from different disciplines and backgrounds: university professors as well as representatives from companies, start-ups or politics will enrich the programme with their insight. As soon as their attendance is confirmed, you will find their names on our preliminary schedule which we update constantly.
We expect you to contribute to the RMS Summer School by sharing your perspective, knowledge and thoughts with the other participants – students and speakers alike. Our aim is to facilitate intercultural exchange as well, so we expect you to contribute during workshops, networking sessions and group work. It goes without saying that participation in the event programme is mandatory to receive both certificate and scholarship.
Local students generally stay in their home residency in the area.
International students will stay in a student hostel close to the campus Gelsenkirchen. You will be accommodated in double rooms with another student of the same gender – please consider prior to your application if this is acceptable for you. There will be access to a shared kitchen and dining area.
Dortmund University of Applied Sciences, Bochum University of Applied Sciences and Westphalian University of Applied Sciences cooperate in their master’s degree programmes in engineering, computer science, economics and sustainability to broaden the offers for their students, among them international activities. Their joint offers are bundled in the Ruhr Master School (RMS).