Welcome to the
INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL
Regional Sustainability: SMART SYSTEMS AND SUPPLY
University of Applied Sciences and Arts Dortmund, Germany
powered by Ruhr Master School (RMS), Higher Education Alliance Ruhr (HAR), InduTwin
The world is getting more and more interconnected and complex. In this process society faces numerous challenges, especially in the context of finite resources and climate change: Can digitized logistics and supply systems create a distribution of goods that is both sustainable and economical? Does building automation contribute to an ecological and socially acceptable transition? These are just some of the questions we want to address at this year`s International Summer School in the light of the digital transformation of systems and supply.
Titled “Regional Sustainability: Smart Systems and Supply”, the International Summer School 2023 offers an exciting program covering a groundbreaking topic in an international setting. The Summer School will allow you to explore developments and chances of supply systems for the future and discuss the opportunities as well as the critical aspects interdisciplinary with experts and participants from all over the world.
- The Summer School is organized by three project partners: Higher Education Alliance Ruhr (HAR), Ruhr Master School (RMS) and InduTwin.
- It is open to interested master students as well as bachelor students (some study experience is recommended) from all subjects.
- Please note that the number of participants is limited.
- The language of the event is English.
- All students will receive a confirmation of participation, stating both topic and workload. Depending on your university and study program, you potentially can receive ECTS as well. Please ask your university or study program coordinator in advance and clarify the conditions.
The Summer School is designed to contribute to two main goals: to increase knowledge on a topic related to sustainability – this year on smart systems and supply for the future. In addition, it aims to facilitate intercultural exchange by both interdisciplinarity and internationality.
Consequently, the Summer School is composed of two parts:
The accompanying program provides an experience of language, region and culture for all international participants. Local students can participate as well by supporting our guests as their buddies.
- German crash course for initial understanding
- getting to know the region with several sight seeing tours
- buddy program with local students
- joint events and mutual exchange
Take a look at the schedule of the accompanying program – it will be continuously updated
The professional program includes international streams, keynote speeches, discussions, and project work. Participants profit from:
- interdisciplinary workshops on Smart Systems and Supply by international speakers
- keynote speeches by experts from both academics and practice
- discussions with international students from all over the world and from different disciplines
- networking sessions which broaden your intercultural perspective and improve your English skills
- group work in international and interdisciplinary teams
- various tasks depending on your level of study
Take a look at the schedule of the professional program – it will be continuously updated
These electives/modules accept the International Summer School. Please note that there are different offers for Bachelor and Master programs
- On the last day of Summer School, all participants will have to fill in a mandatory evaluation sheet to state their feedback on the event. During this process, any data is collected anonymously.
- For people with mobility impairments or chronic diseases, individualized concepts are developed as needed.
- Please observe both the travel warnings of the German Federal Foreign Office and the regulations on travelling in your own country.
International applicants must submit both Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages in pdf format) and letter of motivation (max. 1,800 characters) in order to show personal interest and qualifications regarding the topic and proof of English language skills (level B2 is desirable - proof of English language skills is provided by the letter of motivation and the CV. Further certificates are not required.). You can submit your documents directly within the application process on our website.
The application for the scholarship is covered by the general application for the event. A separate application is not necessary.
Scholarships would be awarded for your travel expenses, accommodation, catering and insurance. Please note that travel expenses will be refunded only up to a certain travel allowance. The height of the allowance for the travel expanses depends on your country of origin. The allowance for your travel expenses will be refunded to you on site in Dortmund. Accommodation, catering and insurance costs will be covered for you directly.
For detailed information please contact summer-school@ hochschulallianz.ruhr
International participants are accommodated in a hostel close to the city center of Dortmund/Dortmund Main Station. You will be accommodated in four-bed-rooms with other students of the same gender – please consider prior to your application if this is acceptable for you.
On the first day of the event, the international participants will be accompanied to the venue of the Dortmund University of Applied Sciences and Arts.
The venue is the campus of the Dortmund University of Applied Sciences and Arts in Dortmund, North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany. Dortmund is one of the biggest cities in Germany and is situated in the Ruhr Metropolis, the largest metropolitan area in Germany.
Please apply via this application form until the following dates
- International students need to apply until 30 May 2023. After that, we will start the selection process for both participation and scholarship.
- The selection process will take some time, and the results will be announced around mid-June. We will come back to you and ask for your patience until then.
- Local students need to register until 30 June 2023.
During the days of the accompanying program from 21 to 24 August 2023, local students can support the International Summer School by participating in a buddy program for the international students. Of course, all buddies are welcome to participate in the planned events.
To become a buddy in the accompanying program for the international guests just click the check box in the registration form. We will contact you later to schedule a short briefing in which you will receive all the information you need.
Please note: In some degree programs the commitment as a buddy is mandatory to receive ECTS credits.
Dortmund University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Bochum University of Applied Sciences and Westphalian University of Applied Sciences cooperate in the strategic alliance of Higher Education Alliance Ruhr (Hochschulallianz Ruhr - HAR) and in various projects, such as Ruhr Master School (RMS) and InduTwin, to broaden the offers for their students.
The three universities of applied sciences and arts are located in the Ruhr Metropolis, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- Ruhr Metropolis is the largest metropolitan area in Germany. Innovation and digital transformation are the driving forces behind the regional structural change from a former industrial location with coal and steel industry to a technology and science hotspot, including in the areas of energy, mobility, health, integration, civil security and digitization.
- The Ruhr Metropolis has a young, creative cultural scene and stands for a cordial life together.
- With its more than five million inhabitants, the region is characterized by its ability to bring people from a wide variety of countries, regions, and cultures together.
The Summer School is open to interested master students as well as bachelor students (some study experience is recommended, as the Summer School will require a certain level of specialist knowledge.)
First of all, you should be interested in the topic and burn for new insight from different perspectives and disciplines.
You should also speak good English (level B2 is desirable), as this is the language of the event.
In case you are an international applicant, you must submit both Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages in pdf format) and letter of motivation (max. 1,800 characters) with your application on our website – this helps us to select the participants for the event and evaluate if you receive the scholarship.
For international students, the application for the Summer School also counts as application for a scholarship. A separate application is not necessary, meaning you just have to apply once for both Summer School and scholarship.
After the application deadline, we will contact you and inform you whether you have received a place and a scholarship.
That`s an easy one: just by sending us your CV and letter of motivation in English.
This is possible, but entirely up to the university and the study program you attend. Please ask your university, study program coordinator or the RMS coordinators in advance and clarify the precise conditions.
You will definitely receive a confirmation of participation stating both topic and workload of the Summer School.
Summer School consists of the professional program (25/08/2023 to 01/09/2023) and the accompanying program for international students as a 'warm up' (21/08/2023 to 24/08/2023). Local students are invited to participate in the accompanying program as well by supporting our guests as their buddies.
During the Summer School, you will meet various (international) experts from different disciplines and backgrounds: university professors as well as representatives from companies will enrich the program with their insight. As soon as their attendance is confirmed, you will find their names on our preliminary schedule which we update constantly.
We expect you to contribute to the Summer School by sharing your perspective, knowledge and thoughts with the other participants – students and speakers alike. Our aim is to facilitate intercultural exchange as well, so we expect you to contribute during workshops, networking sessions and group work. It goes without saying that participation in the event program is mandatory to receive both certificate and scholarship.
Local students generally stay in their home residency in the area.
International participants are accommodated in a hostel close to the city center of Dortmund/Dortmund Main Station. You will be accommodated in four-bed rooms with other students of the same gender – please consider prior to your application if this is acceptable for you. Each room has its own, separate bathroom.
No, we do not take any participation fees for the Summer School.